September 1, 2023
Bode lab / MOMI CORE participate in 2nd GHMRC meeting in Oxford, UK
August 28, 2023
Lars gives a talk at the NEC Symposium in San Diego
August 23, 2023
Lars gives a talk at the 2nd HMO Science Forum in Tokyo, Japan
August 20, 2023
Manuscript accepted for publication in Breastfeeding Medicine
156. Clark AE, Furst A, Sejane K, Stellwagen L, Proost M, Pride D, Smith D, Carlin AF, Bode L (2023) Validating tools to detect and inactivate Monkeypox virus (MPXV) in human milk. Breastfeeding Medicine (Accepted) [Research Article]
August 17, 2023
The lab takes a beach day
August 17, 2023
Part of the Bode lab visits the UC Health Milk Bank
August 16, 2023
Bode lab welcomes Anna Samarra Mas visiting from Spain
Anna Samarra Mas is a graduate student with our collaborator Dr. MCarmen Collado at the Institute of Agrochemistry and Food Technology (IATA) in Valencia, Spain, and is visiting the lab on a European fellowship from August 16 to the middle of December.
Anna's main research focus is to study the maternal-infant resistome and mobilome, as well as the role of human milk as a potential source of antimicrobial resistance genes.
August 11, 2023
Bode lab visits the UC San Diego Health NICU
August 7, 2023
Dr. Sarah Nyquist visits the lab
July 17, 2023
Bode lab welcomes TEP Awardee Sara Shama
Sara Shama is visiting the Bode lab on an ISRHML / FLRF Trainee Expansion Program Travel Award.
Sara is a registered dietitian who is currently pursuing a PhD at the University of Toronto and Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada. Under the supervision of Dr. Deborah O'Connor, her work focuses on understanding the impact of the human milk microbiota and oligosaccharides on the microbial colonization of preterm very low birth weight infants. This research aims to shed light on the intricate mechanisms that influence the establishment and development of the gut microbiome in preterm infants, with the ultimate goal of improving the health outcomes of this vulnerable population.
June 21, 2023
Lars speaks at Global Breastfeeding & Lactation Symposium Series 2023
June 21, 2023
Breanne graduates with B.S. in Biochemistry/Chemistry and a minor in General Biology
June 4-9, 2023
Part of the lab actively participates in Human Milk Bioactives conference
Members of the lab actively participate in the 5th FASEB Science Research Conference on Human Milk Bioactives in Melbourne, Florida, June 4-9, 2023
Lars serves as conference organizer and chair. Annalee chairs a session on Career Development. Lars and Simone each present their work in a talk. Annalee, Kammy, Kristy and Simone also each present a poster. Kristy, Kammy and Simone serve as A/V support volunteers.
May 31, 2023
Part of the lab hikes Mt Woodson
May 25, 2023
Bode lab welcomes Marianna (Anna) Oliva as new Staff Research Associate
"Hello, my name is Anna and I'm your new SRA2 team member. My personal interests include antique restorations & Coin collecting and gardening.
I'm a San Diego native and have over 10 years of experience in custom breeding as an Animal Technician. I'm looking forward to this new transition and am very excited to be a part of this creative team.
I believe research is only as great as the team working on its strategies and I look forward to collaborating with you all."
May 24, 2023
"The Pediatrician next Door" Podcast
May 19, 2023
Lars speaks at ESPGHAN 55th Annual Meeting in Vienna, Austria
May 18, 2023
Bre presents her work at UC San Diego Chem Symposium
May 10, 2023
Lars speaks at 2nd Congreso Internacional de Lactancia Materna in Santiago, Chile
May 5, 2023
Bode lab welcomes Kennedy Spann as new Staff Research Associate
"Hello, my name is Kennedy! As a recent graduate from UC Davis, I knew I had to make my way back to San Diego, my beloved hometown, and I'm thrilled to finally be back. I'm always looking for new ways to stay active and make the most of my free time, whether it's by diving into a good book, exploring the outdoors, or challenging myself with my latest hobby: pickleball. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and am thrilled to be joining this amazing team."
May 2, 2023
Manuscript accepted for publication in The Journal of Nutrition
154. McCune S, Khwajazada S, Yerabandi N, Bode L, Belfort M, Todd D, Perrin M (2023) The influence of human milk oligosaccharides on common methods for measuring lactose and total carbohydrates in human milk. J Nutr (Accepted)
March 30, 2023
Bode lab at HMI Launch & Symposium
March 30, 2023
Human Milk Institute highlighted in LA Times
The LA Times highlights the launch of UC San Diego's new Human Milk Institute, directed by Lars.
Read the full article HERE.
March 29, 2023
HMI hosts Milk Banking Best Practices Workshop in San Diego
March 28, 2023
MOMI CORE hosts annual GHMRC meeting in San Diego
UC San Diego's Mother-Milk-Infant Center of Research Excellence (MOMI CORE) hosts the annual meeting of the Global Human Milk Research Consortium (GHMRC) in San Diego. GHMRC is supported by the Family Larsson-Rosenquist Foundation.
March 20, 2023
Manuscript accepted for publication in PLOS ONE
153. Perrin MT, Mansen K, Israel-Ballard K, Richter S, Bode L, Hampel D, Shahab-Ferdows S, Allen LH, Mena P, Njuguna E, Tran HT, Wesolowska A (2023) Investigating donor human milk composition globally to develop effective strategies for the nutritional care of preterm infants: Study protocol. PLOS ONE (Accepted)
March 3, 2023
Interview with Nikki Hancocks at Probiota in Barcelona
February 14, 2023
Manuscript accepted for publication in American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
152. Mansell T, Furst A, O’Hely M, Chang M, Ponsonby AL, Vuillermin P, Tang MLK, Burgner D, Saffery R, Bode L, on behalf of the Barwon Infant Study Investigator Group (2023) Age-dependent associations of human milk oligosaccharides with body size and composition up to 4 years of age. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (Accepted) [Research Article]
February 9, 2023
Lars speaks at Probiota 2023 in Barcelona, Spain
January 26, 2023
Manuscript accepted for publication in Nutrients
151. Berger Pk, Ong ML, Bode L, Belfort MB (2023) Human Milk Oligosaccharides and Infant Neurodevelopment: A Narrative Review. Nutrients (Accepted) [Review]
January 5, 2023
Lars presents Pediatrics Grand Rounds at Oklahoma Children's Hospital