January 19, 2021
Manuscript accepted for publication in mSystems
116. Rosa F, Matazel K, Elolimy A, Bowlin A, Williams K, Adams S, Bode L, Yeruva L (2021) Human
milk-fed piglets have distinct small intestine and circulatory metabolome profile relative to milk formula-fed piglets. mSystems (Accepted) [Research Article]
January 19, 2021
Manuscript accepted for publication in Nutrients
115. Larson JK, Bode L (2021) Obesogenic Programming Effects during
Lactation: A Narrative Review and Conceptual Model Focusing on Underlying Mechanisms and Promising Future Research Avenues. Nutrients (Accepted)
January 12, 2021
Manuscript accepted for publication in Lancet
114. Merewood A, Bode L, Davanzo R, Perez-Escamilla R (2021) Breastfeed or be vaccinated – An
unreasonable recommendation. Lancet (Accepted) [Opinion]
2020 has been a challenging year for many of us. Nonetheless, we were able to continue our research on human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs) and also initiated urgent studies related to the
coronavirus pandemic and breastfeeding.
Here are some of the highlights:
- We published a total of 29 (!) peer-reviewed manuscripts in 2020.
- As part of our COVID-19 emergency response, we were able to show that SARS-CoV-2 is not transmitted via human milk and that Holder pasteurization inactivates the virus should human milk ever get
contaminated (Chambers et al. JAMA 324(13): 1347-1348).
- We published a Perspective article in Science, highlighting the need for more research to better understand the mother-milk-infant triad with important opportunities to imrpove
maternal-child health (Bode et al. Science 367(6482): 1070-1072).
- Our work on maternal exercise, HMOs, and offspring metabolic phenotype was selected as top 5 Best of Nature Metabolism 2020.
- Lars presented the lab's research at several conferences around the world - both in person and online.
- Lars was listed in the top 2% of most cited scientists in the world in the category "Nutrition and Dietetics".
- Annalee got accepted to the UC San Diego Masters in Clinical Research graduate program.
- Janneiry, Joae, and Sadaf graduated! - Congratulations!
- Sadaf got hired as Staff Research Associate.
- At the beginning of the year we went on an escape room adventure and a frantic quest to resurrect a radioactive professor.
- The week before the pandemic closed everything down, Master Chef Annalee invited the lab for a 'make-your-own' ravioli pasta party.
- Due to the pandemic our annual 'Melting Pot' fondue holiday party was hosted online.